Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Words to the Wise

(Today's reading - Numbers 22:1 - 24:25)
In preparation of moving into the promised land, the Israelites have taken up residence east of the Jordan River. The Moabites found themselves looking at the children of Israel as enemies in their land and Balak, the king became very nervous. He had seen the defeat of the other nations at the hands of these people and knew that he had no chance against them. So, he sought the help of Balaam, the soothsayer to place a curse on the Israelites. He is offered great wealth to come and speak against these people. God instructs him to go, but "to do only what I tell you". (vs 20)
His journey is interesting to say the least. His donkey sees an angel with a sword and turns aside time after time. Balaam beats his donkey and is rebuked by the donkey and the angel. He is allowed to continue, but clearly understands who is in control. He arrives to meet King Balak and is scolded for his late arrival to which he says, “Well, I have come to you now,” Balaam replied. “But can I say just anything? I must speak only what God puts in my mouth.” (vs 38)
He proceeds to give a blessing instead of a curse. He does this three times, much to his own peril. He stands before a King and his men and says the opposite of what he was asked to say. While I might not be a big fan of Balaam, he gets kudos for his backbone here. The King is very angry and struck his hands together and demands he leave at once and go home. To which Balaam replies, “Did I not tell the messengers you sent me, Even if Balak gave me his palace filled with silver and gold, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the LORD—and I must say only what the LORD says?" (Numbers 24:12,13)
"I must say only what the Lord says", I like that. I wish my mouth was completely under God's control. Too many times words have left my mouth and I have immediately regretted what I had said. I have hurt others and have lied to save face. My words have been used to accomplish my goals at the expense of others. And too many times, I have had the opportunity to speak to others about Jesus and had no words to offer. God knows we have trouble with our words.
James gives us a clear picture of the problems we face with our words. "Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so." (James 3: 3-10)
Our words have power; we can build up or destroy; we can speak truth or a lie; we offer words that save or condemn. It is our choice! How we use the gift of speech is our choice. Old habits are hard to break, but through Jesus they can be changed. How we speak is often a habit learned from those around us. It is easy to pick up a bad habit and much harder to lay it back down.
May we determine to "speak only what God has put in our mouths". The only way for that to happen is to learn His words. And the only way to learn His words is by spending time in His word. If our time is spent learning the world's words, that is what will come out of our mouths. Let's spend our time learning the words that bring life to others. God bless you as you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment