Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"As the LORD Commanded"

Good morning :-). Today's reading is Exodus 39:1- 40:35. The children of Israel have donated materials and the craftsmen have fashioned the individual components of the tabernacle. The garments for the Priests are sewn and fashioned (my daughter will like that, she is a fashion major at Lipscomb University). All is completed and brought before Moses for inspection.
The reading today presents a consistent thought. As each item of the tabernacle is described, the materials used and the way it was made; it is declared to be "just as the LORD commanded". Fifteen times in these verses, it is declared that the the work had been done exactly by Gods' direction, "just as the LORD commanded". HE had given the instruction and HE expected that His people would follow HIS directions in order to please HIM. Seems simple enough.
When the work was completed, the items were brought before Moses for inspection. (39:43) He looked over each item to make sure it met Gods' standard and when he found them acceptable, he blessed the people.
As the Tabernacle is erected, as each component is fitted together, as each piece of the furnishing is placed; it is declared to have been done "just as the LORD commanded". And when His house was completed, He moved in. "The glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle".
So what can we take away from this? What are some big truths that God would have us understand? My thoughts (just my thoughts) are that I need to understand that God expects us to take the time learn and then apply what we have learned "just as the LORD commanded". Certainly He has left many things in our lives up to us to decide. But even those things are directly influenced by our understanding of His will. However, many things He has clearly specified and expects our complete submission to His will.
What I like, what you like must take a backseat to His commands. Spending time in His word is the only way to grow in our understanding of His will for our lives. Where else will I learn how I am to treat my wife, my children and my fellow man? Where else will I learn how to conduct myself on my job and in public? Where else will I learn how to become a Christian and how to worship God "just as He commanded"? People might tell me their opinions on these things, but the only reliable source of truth is Gods' word. That is where His commands are found.
Today, may we decide to live our lives "just as the LORD commanded". May we determine to look at the individual pieces of our lives to be sure they meet His standard and then put them together to live a life that God will inhabit. May the glory of the LORD fill you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, to be filled with the glory of the Lord! Would that this can be what will be able to be accurately placed on my tombstone. I would love it if I could live in such a way that only two thing need be placed on my stone (beside the dates,etc.)
    1. "Filled with the glory of God" (for letting God's light so shine in me)
    2. "See how he loved her (for faithful devotion to my wife)
    THAT would be a life well lived.
    Great thoughts, Dale. Thank you for your heart for the Word and its Author.

    ReplyDelete