Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Word of God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcEDPRfHMY&feature=player_embedded

First things first... watch the YouTube video above.

A friend of mine, no... a brother of mine put this on his wall on Facebook. In 57 seconds I was reduced to tears. Why don't I feel that way about the Bible? Why am I not moved to tears when I hold the Creator of the Universe' love letter to His creation?

My spiritual alarms started going off and I knew that a change had to happen! I believe the old adage is correct... "Familiarity breeds contempt". I have access with such ease to His words. They are on my book shelf (bunches of copies), they are on my computer, my cell phone, my Ipad, in my car in my CD player... God's word is everywhere in my life. I hear it proclaimed and I study books about it. I think all of that is good and I am thankful for the abundance of it.

However, I believe that when you have something around you all the time, it can lose it's importance. In nations where food is overly abundant, the people are wasteful. In a nation where food is scarce, they treat every morsel with care.  If I have lots of money, I tend to not watch my expenditures like I did when every dollar counted. You get the idea.

So, the question for us is how do we live with the abundance of His word in our lives, yet still treasure it like those in the video? My first thought is that we need to recognize it for what it is. That book is unlike any other book on this planet. It contains the thoughts of the almighty God of the universe. If I can open it and have that thought present, then maybe I will give it the respect that it deserves. Let's meditate on that for a moment... God has spoken to us, we get to have His words in a book that we own and we can open it and read His revealed message whenever we want to.

To quote my wife... "Boom"! May we wake up to the understanding of what we have. And when we wake up to that, may it forever change the way we read it. It is not God's opinion on a topic, it is purely and simply ... TRUTH! Nothing else matters. What I say, what you say, what your preacher says, what Billy Graham says... none of that matters. What HE says settles everything. And we get to read and understand His will for our lives and the entire creation. One word comes to my mind... privilege. What an awesome privilege that we have to hold His words in our hands.

Take a few minutes to read some verses that talk about His word...

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105)

You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you. (Deut 4:2)

2 comments:

  1. WHEN SCRIPTURE DIED

    With the death of the apostle John, Scripture died. There was, nor is there any new Scripture after the last apostle died. The only way creed books and catechisms contain Scripture is if it is copied from the Bible. All so-called post Biblical revelations from God are man-made doctrines. There are no new Scriptures.

    John 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

    Jesus told the apostles that He would send the Holy Spirit to guide them into all the truth. Jesus did not say the apostles would be guided into a partial truth. There was, nor is there any new truth today. The apostle had all of the truth.

    Ephesians 3:3-5 that by revelation there was made know to me the mystery, as I wrote before in brief. 4 By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which in other generation was not made know to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit.

    The mystery of Christ was reveled to the apostle Paul, and the rest of the apostles and the prophets. There is no new mystery to be reveled by any so-called modern day apostles and prophets. Paul said; has now been reveled. Paul did not say, will in the future be reveled.

    2 Peter 3:15-16 ...just as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters,speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

    Letters written by the apostle Paul were Scriptures. All of the words and letters of the apostles were Scriptures. The apostles words were God's words. The words in man-made creed books, catechisms, statements of faith and new books of so-called revelation, are not Scriptures. Scripture is found in the Bible and the Bible alone.

    2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

    ALL SCRIPTURE DIED WITH THE LAST APOSTLE.

    THE SO-CALLED NEW REVELATIONS FOUND IN CREED BOOKS, CATECHISMS, STATEMENTS OF FAITH AND OTHER BOOKS ARE NOT SCRIPTURE.

    WHY WOULD YOU SEEK GOD AND HIS WILL FOR YOUR LIFE, USING MADE-MAN DOCTRINE?


    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY CHRISTIAN BLOG. Google search>>> steve finnell a christian view


    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts. I disagree with the statement that "all scripture died with the last apostle". I probably agree with the intent, just not the wording. We are told that scripture is living and active in Hebrews 4, so I don't think the terminology is appropriate. I agree that when the last apostle died and when the last person the apostles had placed their hands on died, then God's word was complete. (not dead) Thanks for reading my thoughts and I will check out your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete