Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

I Am Barabbas

(Today's Reading - Deuteronomy 26-27; Mark 15:1-26)

The story of Barabbas has always made me angry. The people demanded that the guilty be released and the innocent be killed. Jesus had committed no crime. He stood before the Pilate and the people completely innocent. Barabbas was at least guilty of participating in murder, if not having committed murder himself. One deserved to be punished; the other deserved to be set free. Pilate wanted to free Jesus; he knew he was innocent of all charges. The people, the same people who had welcomed Jesus into Jerusalem as their king, now demanded his crucifixion.

Who was Barabbas that he should be set free at the expense of an innocent man? What had he done that would qualify him to receive such a free gift? These are the questions that had always eaten at me. Until... I realized that I am Barabbas. Think about it for a moment. As a Christian, have I not received the exact same mercy that Pilate granted to Barabbas? Do I not get to go free at the expense of Jesus? Have I done something that makes me worthy of having my sentence commuted?

“Do you want me to release to you the king of the Jews?” asked Pilate, knowing it was out of self-interest that the chief priests had handed Jesus over to him. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas instead. “What shall I do, then, with the one you call the king of the Jews?” Pilate asked them. “Crucify him!” they shouted. “Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”  Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.
(Mark 15: 9-15)

Barabbas' story is our story. We received freedom at His expense. Just like Barabbas, we have done nothing to obtain this freedom. We are guilty and the innocent pays the price. Peter put it his way, “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2: 23-24)

"By His wounds you have been healed". "He himself bore our sins". You get the picture... I am Barabbas. You are Barabbas. I have often heard people say that they want what they deserve. And, I guess in some situations that is understandable; but, when we consider what we deserve in this life, maybe what we really want is what we need. God knew that we needed a Savior; he sent one. He knew that we need an example to live by; He sent one. He knew we need a relationship with Him and so He sent His Son to make peace between us. Just like Barabbas, I need someone to pay the price for my freedom and Jesus steps forward and says, "I will do that".

Paul gave us this insight into Gods plan, Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (1 Cor 5: 20-21) Paul tells us that we should be telling everyone about this payment that has been made for them. We are to be His ambassadors. It is as if God is making His plea though you and me. He says for us to tell everyone that Jesus paid it all that I might live. Hey, that would make a great song! Now go sing it! Next time you see me say, "hey Barabbas, aren't you glad Jesus paid the price for your freedom!". Amen? Amen!

Love God, Love People

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment