Search This Blog

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Prison and Prayer

Today we read Acts 12. This is not a great time to be a Christian. Unlike the times we read about earlier in Acts, disciples of Jesus are facing persecution and execution. It is difficult for us to relate to this (for now). We live in a nation that protects our religious freedom and few of us have ever faced people that threaten harm or imprison because of what we believe. In Acts 12, we read about the death of James, the brother of John. (I will leave you a moment here to think about James)

We often read verses and they don't really impact us. James, the brother of John, was one of the first four disciples that Jesus called to follow him. He left his fishing business and his father, Zebedee to become one of the "Sons of Thunder" as Jesus would name them. Take a moment to think about this man of God who died because he chose Jesus over a fishing career.

After James is executed, Peter is taken into prison and his fate is to be the same as James. But God has other plans. Let's read... Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church.  And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands.  Then the angel said to him, “Gird yourself and tie on your sandals”; and so he did. And he said to him, “Put on your garment and follow me.” (12: 5-8)

I want us to read that slowly. Peter is in prison, bound with two chains between two soldiers. There were guards keeping the door as well, a total of 16 soldiers. Sounds like a "high security prison". No doubt, Herod had heard of the previous prison breaks (Acts 5) and wanted to be sure that Peter stayed put this time. What I want us to focus on is the little phrase "but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church". Why does Luke, by the direction of the Spirit tell us that while Peter is chained in prison, the church is constant in prayer? Sixteen professional soldiers, a high security prison, chained to two soldiers and the church is constant in prayer. Why? Why are they praying and why are we told about it?

My faith is in a God that answers prayers. He listens to the prayers of His children and then acts in their best interests. Sometimes I see the results of my prayer, sometimes I don't. Either way, He still acts and He still answers my prayers! Maybe God planned on rescuing Peter without the prayers of the church. Maybe. I don't know (and you don't either), but I know this, God saw fit to tell us that the church was praying (constantly) and that Peter was set free. Why tell us that if prayers are not efficacious? Why set us up for wasted efforts? I have prayed for friends that were ill and they were healed. I have prayed for friends and they were not healed. That is truth. I don't fully understand why God answers my prayers with a yes sometimes and at other times it is a no. But this I know for sure... he knows what is best in every situation and by faith I accept that.

Let me leave you with a verse that covers this very adequately... And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) He is working in our best interests... always, in all things! That is the kind of God we love and serve. Sure I wonder "why" sometimes and that is alright. but in the end, I have to remember who is God and who is not. Isaiah tells us a truth that helps... “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9) I believe one day I (and you) will understand better the "why", but until then... trust and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment