Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

We Have An Advocate

(Job 15-16)

Sometimes when we are hurting, silence is golden. It is wonderful to be surrounded by those we love, but sometimes we need quiet. Job is with his friends and for a while they just sit with him. Seven days and nights, they suffered in silence with their friend. But when they started talking, they didn't know when to stop. I am sure a few words were comforting, but then they needed to be quiet. They began to reason why trouble had befallen Job. And they went on and on and on.
Job tried to answer them, but three against one is no bargain. In chapter 16, Job reminds us that no matter how difficult the arguments are here, no matter if we lose every debate here; we have an advocate in heaven.

Earth, do not cover my blood;
   may my cry never be laid to rest!
Even now my witness is in heaven;
   my advocate is on high.
My intercessor is my friend
   as my eyes pour out tears to God; 

on behalf of a man he pleads with God
   as one pleads for a friend.
(Job 16: 18-21)

Attorneys are often called advocates. They argue for their client and present facts that they hope will enable them to win the case. Job tells us that while he might be losing the argument here, he is winning it where it counts. He has a friend in heaven that is pleading his case for him. I like that! I often feel that I lose with people here, my reasoning is not adequate to persuade them to accept my argument; but knowing that I have an advocate representing me in heaven gives me peace.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. (1 John 2:1-3)

Our advocate, our attorney in heaven is Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is perfectly suited to represent us. He experienced everything that we face in this life and he is able to tell our story. But the kicker is this.... if the attorney loses the case here, the client pays the price; in heaven, our attorney, Jesus has already paid the price for us. "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins."
Now that doesn't mean that I can do as I choose. There is an "if" in the next verse...."if we keep his commands". We are continually found "not guilty" as long as we continue to be faithful to Him. Will I mess up... sure. But the direction of my life must be heavenward; I must be following Him.

If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (1 John 1:6,7)

Jesus is our advocate in heaven and he has paid for our sin. That is a deal that any reasonable person will not pass up. I get to exchange my sinfulness for His righteousness. I get to trade my old rags for His robe and crown. And to top it all off.... He is my friend! "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer." Just like Job, as Christians we have a friend standing before the Father making our case for us. I can hear Him now... "I know he messed up, I know she messed up, but look at him, look at her grow. They are doing so well."
May we all remember that we have a friend that stands before God on our behalf. He is Jesus the Christ, the son of the living God. Our friend is the son of God! What judge would ever rule against his son? We are in good hands; we have the perfect advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment