Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Worship the LORD

(2 Samuel 12: 18-23)

Today's reading tells us of the dangers of not doing the things we should be doing and the joy of doing the things we should. King David stays home when he should have been on the battlefield. He is bored and becomes a Peeping Tom. He sees his neighbor's wife, bathing and sin is crouching at his door. He sends for her to come to his palace and he commits adultery with her. The result is a pregnancy and the murder of his neighbor, Uriah. He is confronted with his sin by prophet Nathan and offers a heartfelt plea for forgiveness. (Psalm 51)
The result of his sin is the death of his son. After Nathan confronts him, his son becomes ill and for seven days King David prays and fasts in hopes that God will heal the child. Seven days he contemplates the result of his sin. I can only imagine the feelings of guilt and sorrow that confronted David as he considered the outcome of his adulterous act. Uriah is killed and his son is dying all because he stayed and strayed. For seven days he is on the ground, weighed down by the guilt of his actions, while his son is drifting towards death. "On the seventh day, the child died." (2 Samuel 12:18)
As sad as that story is, the King's response to his son's death is what I want to focus on today. "Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped." (2 Samuel 12:20) David's response to the death of his son .....worship! Worship! Too many times, I only worship God when things are going great. When I get the good stuff...worship. When my job is going well and I am putting money in the bank.....worship. When my kids are passing their college courses and conducting themselves properly.....worship. When my relationship with my wife is all it should be....worship. You get the idea. It is easy to worship God when we are happy and life is handing us lemonade and not lemons.
David teaches us that worship is right, even when things are not so good. Praising God in the bad times demonstrates a mature relationship with Him. Casting Crowns has given us a song that hits the nail on the head. Consider the deep relationship that God calls us to as you read the words.....

"I was sure by now
God you would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
I’ll praise You in this storm
And I will life my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm"

"I will praise you in the storm". David was surely in the middle of a hurricane when he decided that the right response to his son's death was to go to God's house and worship. David understood that God was working, that his understanding was limited and God's power was limitless. He knew that God had a plan, even if he did not understand it. His wisdom is demonstrated in his insight into the situation. "Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.” (v 23)
May we determine to praise God in midst of our times of sorrow, when life is difficult and we are hurting. David says to us through the ages..... "times are tough, get up, wash your face and go worship the God of the universe, He deserves our praise even during life's storms." Praise God!


No comments:

Post a Comment