Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Of Lions and Grass

Let me set the stage for you... Last night I am sitting in an excellent Men's Bible Study (doing a fairly critical review of "Wild At Heart") and we dive into a discussion of the world, pre and post-fall. What was this world like before man sinned and what was it like after? I know, right, you are sitting on the edge of your seat about now! First let me say this, the Bible is not filled with lots of information about this, so there was a lot of "I think" going on.

Finally, one guy says that every creature on earth ate veggies before the fall. Well, I quickly corrected him and said something to the effect of, "you mean to tell me that lions ate grass and not sheep?". I did so with great joy and a little laughter at his ignorance. I mean come on, lions and tigers munching on green beans and squash. LOL! Now here's where things get a little fuzzy for me... somewhere between the giggles, another guy says, "yep, just read the last few verses in Genesis 1". Ok, I 'll humor him, I mean I have read Genesis many times and 5 times in the last years, so there is no way something so silly is in there. I know what it says!

( I know, each of you is busy turning in your trusty little pocket Bibles to see what it says) Let me save  your fingers the exercise... Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground —everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food. And it was so.

Imagine my surprise as I was confronted with the truth. My mantra has always been if you can show me something in the Bible, in context... I will believe it. Lions eat grass. Before the fall of man, all creatures ate green plants. That my friends is the truth as God's word reveals it and so I believe it. I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 10:12... Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. I knew that lions didn't eat grass! I was certain of it and I was standing on my belief. Timber! 

Sometimes, that is the way it is. We believe something, we are sure of it and yet we are wrong. Our parents, our grandparents, our friends and our preachers have told us things. They are trustworthy and so we file it away as truth in our beliefs. Here's the rub... sometimes they are wrong! They have been told things by people that they trust who were told by someone they trust and on and on. For many years, the world was flat. That was the "truth" and everyone believed it... until someone sailed out there and didn't fall off the edge. You get the idea.

What's my point in all this? Peter put it this way, Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;  for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. (2 Peter 1: 10-12) He tells us that even though we know the truth, he will continually remind us of it. Our responsibility is to be diligent in making our "election" sure. Spend time with other Christians in discussion. Listen to your preacher. Read commentaries. Read Christian authors. But in the end... remember that His word is truth. Our beliefs must be Biblical to please Him.

Listen to what Francis Chan has to say about all this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Is8QnxviOI

Are your beliefs Biblical? Mine were not! I was sure that lions ate sheep. I was wrong. You know, the big question is "what do you do when you realize your beliefs are not Biblical?". You can hold onto what is wrong or you can let His word reign in your life. Many will hold onto a lie to save face. Pride prevents them from allowing truth to correct a wrong belief. I know people like that. (I have been like that)

Paul gives us a strong warning in 2 Corinthians 13:4-6 - For though He was crucified in weakness, yet He lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you. Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified. 

Do you believe that lions eat grass?

No comments:

Post a Comment