Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Solution for Depression

(Psalm 42)

Man is always looking for solutions to his problems. A quick fix is always preferable; one that costs little and at least puts a band-aid over the issue. Depression is a problem that everyone deals with during their lifetime. Everyone! None go through this life without trouble and trouble brings about depression. Be it financial, relational, physical, emotional or whatever brings you down, trouble is the cause of our depression.
Man's solution... counseling, medication, self-help books, a new job, a new wife.... whatever it takes to remove the "problem" and fix the trouble. Never considering that the next job, the next boyfriend, the next situation will bring with it... trouble. My friends, that is life. It is filled with trouble. Job put it this way... “Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble." (Job 14:1) Sounds good doesn't it. His point and my point is the same; if you live life, you will experience trouble, sorrow, pain and problems. Guaranteed!
So what does God have to say about this. I mean, He made us, so He must offer the true solution to our depression. Psalm 42 gives His prescription for life's downs. Let's pull over and park and take a few minutes to read the 42nd Psalm.
As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?
My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?” These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.  
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me. By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?” Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.
God's solution for depression... get the focus off of me. When I dwell on my situation; my focus is on me, then the problem is mine and I am responsible for the solution. Be careful to understand what I am saying... of course I will suffer the negative results of a bad decision, but when my attention is on me, life seems miserable. I don't have as nice a car as my neighbor. I don't have as handsome a husband as the lady in the next cube. I don't make as much money as I deserve. I, I, I... you get the idea.
David tells us to place our focus on God, rather than on ourselves, remembering that He is the source of hope and the giver of every blessing. Having a deep desire to be in His presence, in His house with His people, that is what will bring true joy and defeat depression. Depression is defined as "Severe despondency and dejection, accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy." The focus is on me when I am depressed. I am not good enough. I have no hope. As long as I am relying on me, I will be disappointed. But when I depend on God, my focus turns towards Him. As David said, "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?" He lived to be near God, to offer praise and song and prayer. His hope was in the LORD. When others would taunt him, he remembered what God had done for him. When he was distressed, he turned towards God and longed to be with Him. When he was "cast down", when his soul was in "turmoil", he found hope in God and looked forward to praising him, his salvation and his God.
I understand that this is not the popular fix being marketed on television or prescribed by the doctor, but God offers the true solution to every problem, if we will just take the time to seek Him and His wisdom.
Money issues....Philippians 4:10-12; Marriage issues.... Ephesians 5:24-26; Parenting issues.... Proverbs 22:6; Relationship issues.... 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
You see the solutions to our problems and overcoming depression is there for the taking. The problem for most people isn't that it isn't available, it's that they don't want it. God offers the blueprint for a life filled with joy; not a life without pain or trouble, but a life that deals with those things properly. I wish you well, seek the LORD, read His word, abide by His laws and this life and the life hereafter will be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment