Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Make Tassels

The LORD said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Throughout the generations to come you are to make tassels on the corners of your garments, with a blue cord on each tassel. You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of the LORD, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by chasing after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes. Then you will remember to obey all my commands and will be consecrated to your God. (Numbers 15:37-40)

God knows we have short memories. He understands that life happens and the urgent things often replace the important things. My car brakes down, I am stranded on the road and I forget the blessings of God. My child misbehaves and I react badly and forget that he/she is a gift from God. I am very successful at whatever I do and I forget that it is God that gave me the ability to do it. You get the idea.

God called on the Israelites to sew tassels with a blue cord on the corners of their garments. Some Jews still do this today. To us, it seems a silly thing, tassels on the corners of our garments, to the Jew it is a binding command that they must keep under the Law. Like every command, God had/ has a purpose in giving it. He tells us that these tassels were to be a constant reminder of the commands of the LORD and that they were obligated to obey them.

God knew that they needed something that would remind them on a constant basis of His involvement in their lives, His authority over their lives. Each day, as they dressed and saw the tassels, they were reminded of His commands and the relationship they had with Him. As they walked the streets, tassels blowing in the wind, they would remember His leadership in their lives. When they saw their friends and family members, they would see the tassels and be reminded of Him. Everyone, everywhere.... wearing tassels, declaring the sovereign LORD to each other, reminding each other to be consecrated to Him.

What about us? Do we need ongoing reminders of our relationship with God? Do we need something to daily, even hourly call our attention to Him? Or, are we so spiritual that we never forget to live consecrated lives before a Holy God? Think about it. We don't have the tassel command to live with any longer, but do we need something that calls us to better lives before us? I understand that we don't have a command, but if it was a good idea for the Israelites, do we not have the same need?

I know I do!  Too often, I find myself mindlessly doing things that give no glory to God or benefit to me or those around me. I encourage us, you and me to think about his, to consider what we can do to keep God present in our minds as we live out our lives in service to Him. Some wear rings, some crosses, some bracelets or other items to declare to themselves and to those around them that God is LORD of their lives. Understand that I am not giving a command where none exists; rather, I am asking if we need to consider what we can do to keep our focus on God in our daily lives.

Hebrews 12:2 tells us to fix our eyes on Jesus. He is to be constant in our lives that keep us from forgetting what we have through Him. I understand that. This is the first blog post that I am ending with a request from you the reader..... I want to hear what you think. Do we need "tassels" today to remind us and declare to others that God is LORD of our lives? Andif you think we do, give me some ideas about what those "tassels" could be. Let me hear from you.

May God richly bless you as you serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment